Galveston 2010

Galveston 2010
Beach Picture

Golf Camp

Golf Camp
Bentwater

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Growing Avocados by Jack

On Saturday, mom was making guacamole and I noticed that she had two avocados.  The seeds (pits) were interesting because they are so big.  I thought that we could save money by growing our own food, so mom looked up how to grow avocados from the seed on the internet.  There are 2 ways.  The first way was the way Bobpa did it, where you stuck toothpicks in it and put a little bit of water in a bowl, then we watch it grow roots.  There are no roots yet.  The second way is putting it in a pot.  You have to leave part of it in the light out of the soil.  And you have to put big rocks in the bottom of the pot, but not cover up the hole so the water can drain.  We are doing an experiment to see what happens, and to see which seed grows faster.  We planted them on Sunday, so we are now on day 3.  Neither seed has roots yet.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to grow my avocado seeds at the start of the summer, but I didn't have much luck. I buried it completely though and found it did not work. Keep us posted to see what happens with either one. I'd love to have my own avocado tree. Be careful. My research showed that the trees can grow quite large!

    ReplyDelete